Thursday 26 August 2021

Virus Diary #2

Day 2

I woke up at 5.30. The agreement with my boss was that I would check my temp, and if it was back to normal and I was feeling better, it would be OK to come in. Unfortunately, it was still high. Not bad, just slightly high at 38,5C. I booked a COVID test because the workplace requires it, and went back to sleep.

A couple of hours later, I woke up from a smell. It was difficult to make out just what it was I was smelling. Was it coffee? A fart? Mature cheese? Feet? The smell was musty and brown, and could fit any of those things. If my brain would have been fully awake, I would have made the logical conclusion that it was cheese. My SO was eating breakfast next to me. He doesn't like coffee. A headache and cough had woken him up. 

I sat up, and my head started spinning. "Wow. It has been a long time since I felt like this!", I exclaimed to my SO. I had indeed not felt this bad since the flu in 2008. A tiny alarm in the back of my head was saying something about my sense of smell being off. My phone showed that my test was scheduled in a few hours.

"Have you taken this test before?", the nurse asked me, fully covered in gloves, plastic clothes, and a face shield. "Yes", I replied, and tried to think of something distracting and peaceful while I first opened my mouth, then tilted my head backwards so she could reach my nose. It was over quickly. My stamina was so bad that I decided to rent a scooter for the way back home. Walking is usually one of my favourite things.

We didn't get the test results this day. We all still had a fever. The little one had also developed a nasty diarrhoea, which my SO got the unfortunate task of dealing with while I was at the testing station. He took a walk late at night to get some groceries and fresh air. I put the little one to bed in the mean time, which took a while, since he was restless. His nose appeared to be stuffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment