Thursday 2 September 2021

Virus Diary #9

Day 9

Something peculiar has happened to my nose.

It started with a weird background smell. Not the "pus" smell that is common in colds, but a sickening sweet, putrid smell. It reminds me of cheap air fresheners, ear wax remover, baby oil, a cat (or me!) giving birth, or the wrong flowery smell of something dead. I have named this smell Wrong 1.

After I discovered that I could very faintly smell vinegar and vanilla, I started sniffing everything. This was how I discovered Wrong 2. This smell reminds me of burning plastic or rubber, burnt paprika or garlic, and the smell that comes when you heat up a dirty plate. When it isn't intense, it reminds me of an overheated computer or hot dust.

I can somehow taste a bit now. I can recognise the taste of ginger in tea, and I can taste the difference between my own minty toothpaste and LO's fruity one. (The last one tastes of nothing and smells of Wrong 1) I can taste the difference between mustard and ketchup, but not between tea and coffee.

Everything that has a smell, smells like either Wrong 1 or Wrong 2. Not many things have a smell at all at this point, and I can smell Wrong 1 simply from drinking water, but there seems to be some kind of pattern to it.

Things that smell of Wrong 1:

  • Vanilla soap
  • Fruity soap
  • Yoghurt
  • Cranberry tea
  • Cheese
  • Laundry detergent

Things that smell of Wrong 2:

  • Minty soap
  • Adult toothpaste
  • Thyme
  • Alcohol
  • Soy sauce

Things that have absolutely no smell:

  • Urine
  • Faeces
  • Mould
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Bread
  • Sandalwood soap
  • Humans

No comments:

Post a Comment